Saturday, May 14, 2011

Musings From My Yard

It is really much nicer to get my exercise walking down by the river -- where the roar of water rushing over the dam drowns out all sounds except the birds in the trees and the crunch of gravel underfoot -- than it is to manhandle an intractable, ear-splitting, gas-guzzling conglomeration of hand-numbingly-vibrating metal parts over two acres of grass that I've let get too high...
   
There IS such a thing as an ugly flower... so it's OK to mow over those.

The disk from an autopsied hard drive makes an excellent scraper for cleaning the underside of a mulching push-mower...

I think my lawn got bigger over the winter...

You can split some really big rocks with a mower blade!

Apparently, I cannot walk in a straight line...

I wonder if the neighbor and I could come to some sort of mutually-beneficial agreement involving his goats and my back field...?

If I continue to ignore my asparagus, how much taller than 40 inches will it grow, do you suppose?

Almost time for rhubarb pie!

Someday, I should really try dating a man who actually likes to eat...
Or at least to mow...

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Rock vs. push mower blade...the blade lost. :(

Neighbor's goats: Sounds perfect! I'll send my Aussie up to herd them instead of me :D

Asparagus: Let's see...set a Guinness record.

Pie: Always a yes!

Man: mow...all men will eat if you call it food.

-H

Jz said...

Miz H,
Can we just clarify that you're tired of your Aussie herding YOU, rather than that you'd prefer to send your dog to visit than show up yourself?
;-p
*teasing*

As to men and food, the thing is that I keep finding guys who eat only because they have to.

me- "Want a muffin?"
him- "No thanks, I'll be having an apple in four hours..."

So I'm ready for the man who walks into my house and says, "Man, that pie smells good! Got a fork?"

Anonymous said...

OMG, I can't believe someone else has ignored their asparagus! Mine has gotten taller than I am - 60 inches. So I guess you'll have to beat that if you're going for the record.

But I've been thinking there's probably some kind of "Don't Waste the Asparagus" league that's going to come arrest me. Don't you worry about that?

aisha

Jz said...

a-
I do worry about that, yes.
But I keep hoping that the Asparagus Liberation Army will swoop in first, wearing bandit masks and brandishing tiny chef's knives with which they will decimate my asparagus bed before fleeing through the hedges, pilfered stalks bobbing madly above their heads...

*comes back to reality with a grin*
That was fun, thank you!!
:-D

greengirl said...

i'm thinking the goats could help with the asparagus thing at least... I've got teenage boys - they will mow for food, no problem - and they love pie - can i send them to you?

Jz said...

gg-
Sure, send 'em on over!
I have many years of auntly experience with teenaged boys in large multiples.
I know all the right carrots to dangle...
Fresh raspberries, smoothies, burgers on the grill, boogey-boarding at the beach, hammock chilling in the afternoon, etc., etc...
I'll even take them for longer if you promise you'll put your birthday present to good use while they're away!

Anonymous said...

me- "Want a muffin?"
him- "No thanks, I'll be having an apple in four hours..."


^^^^NO! That can't be! I've never seen that species

-H

Tom Allen said...

me- "Want a muffin?"
him- "No thanks, I'll be having an apple in four hours..."


heh heh - that's me.

True story - I once dated a woman that probably dumped me because of that. But the funny part is that I'm actually a pretty good cook, so she used to get ticked when she realized that she couldn't seduce me with her cooking.

Of course, why would I want to stay with a woman who thought that cooking would be the way to seduce me?

Jz said...

H-
Fer true. (see above. Thank you, Tom!)
And I've dated more than one of 'em.
I'm ready for the ones who want to eat cheesecake off my naked body...

T-
Maybe if she served the food on her boobs...?

(you know, I thought if anyone would pick up on the hard drive line, it would be you...)

turiya said...

Why do I suddenly have this feeling I'll be having nightmares about giant asparagus coming to life and trying to eat me?

*hugs*

turiya

Tom Allen said...

(you know, I thought if anyone would pick up on the hard drive line, it would be you...)

:blinks:

What, doesn't everybody?

Jz said...

t-
I think you're safe.
Asparagus can't swim...
;-)

T-
ah.
"Been there, done that."
got it.