Friday, December 28, 2018

Dancing Through the Holidays

I hadn’t intended to get to this one quite yet but since I started us down the belly dancing rabbit hole last week, I’ve decided to keep going.

When I first started taking belly dance classes, my teacher followed the American Tribal Style. ATS is different from classical belly dancing, more a fusion of various folk dance techniques. My instructor always said that it was a very female dance, women dancing for women, not for men. It was group-oriented and improvisational and tons of fun… but never really quite hit the sweet spot for me.

However, after that whole unfortunate skull fracture incident, when I needed to find a way to exercise indoors without triggering my vertigo, I started to explore belly dance again. There are a lot of beautifully fluid dancers out there, with mad muscle control skillz, (many of whom I admire) but it wasn’t until I discovered Rachel Brice that I found a belly dancer whose style made me whimper with the longing to Dance Just. Like. Her.  (And the funky steampunk costumes don’t hurt either.)

It will never happen, of course. 
But an aging zaftig woman can dream, no?

So here you go - a quick intro to my belly dance idol, Rachel Brice:
(the light improves at about 50 seconds)


Look for her again at future Friday Night Dance Parties!

8 comments:

messymimi said...

Dang! Yeo, i’d want to be able to dance like that, too!

olivia said...

Wow, that is really beautiful. Very cool. Thanks.

Eric51Amy49 said...

I had a bad experience with belly dancing but this is lovely. Maybe I should try it again!
Amy

Jz said...

mm-
Oh, just wait til you see some of the future appearances! :-)

o-
Isn't it?
I'd kill for those arms...

A-
I won't ask... but you've got me wondering! ;-p

Red said...

I tried belly dance for a while, but I don't know if I'd ever be brave enough to do it in public. Even if I was good!

Jz said...

R-
I hear ya... but speaking for myself, I don't think I'd care if anyone saw me or not, I'd just like to know I could do this. (And I'll be you feel great if your body *can*!)

selkie said...

she is amazing!! The belly is great but those arms and shoulder movements!! So sinuous!! I too tried it in my misspent youth and had GREAT fun with it! What I remember was all the hours I put in trying to move a broom handle from beneath my boobs down to my hips and back again using muscles.... LOL Rowan did it too and did pretty well - what I remember about her was coming home from class one day and informing me she could NOW spell the alphabet with her boobs! LOL Either way it is a blast!

Jz said...

s-
And here I was, thinking I was doing well spelling out the alphabet with my foot!
But yeah, having those shoulder and arm moves will be in my contract for the next life... ;-D