Sunday, November 24, 2013

Boundaries

(This is kind of a rant, but it's been stuck in my craw for a while, so let me just get it out and then we'll move on, OK?)

A while back, I posted about declining a date with BG because I had a previous engagement with a friend to see the new Star Trek movie. I only meant it as a light little piece, so I was kind of surprised by some of the reactions I got off-post, where I took a fair bit of teasing about my priorities.

Most of it was in fun, I know that. But there were also liminal undertones of "The Shock Of The Better Sub" -- and that part bothered me.

Because for one thing, were you to check page 37 of Jz's Handbook of Life, you would discover that, in my world, you do NOT blow someone off simply because a better offer is received, no matter who issued it. My mama would rise from her grave to bitch-slap me if I did that, and when I staggered back onto my feet, I'd have to bitch-slap myself -- because that is just not acceptable behavior.

Even disregarding the question of common courtesy, however, these comments got under my skin because they touched on a trope within D/s that I actually quite object to -- that the good submissive never says, "No" -- context be damned. 
That's just not how I (nor, thankfully, BG) see(s) it. 

To my mind, a power exchange is between dominant and submissive only.
Certainly, whatever two people agree to do between themselves is no one else's business -- but the key words there are "between themselves."
I may cede to my dominant all sorts of control over me but that control does not extend to any and all independent entities I interact with -- those maintain their right to autonomy.

So while I may be willing to change my pre-existing plans, if they involve someone else, the plans stay as is. My friends didn't sign up to be controlled by BG and I'm not going to play fast and loose with them as though they had.

Now certainly, we're just talking about a movie date here, so my rant undoubtedly seems excessive. But the underlying principle touches on an issue I have seen crop up often enough to concern me -- where subs stretch a "no limits" policy until it becomes virtually "no boundaries" --  and suddenly anything they've ever seen, read, or touched becomes eligible to be laid at their dominant's feet.

"Here, have my mother's credit card number!"
"Of course I'll give you the combination to the safe where I work!"
"Well, my friend didn't expect you to assault her, Sir, but that's OK, you are Master, after all." (I only wish this one were hyperbole…)

(OK, mostly exaggerations -- but the underlying message is the same as in statements I've actually read out there... and that message makes me crazy.)

Those are not your things.
The fact that you have access to them does not make them your things.
And things that are not yours are, by extension, not yours to share with anyone else.

Please stick to the stuff that is actually yours.

(thank you, I'm done now)

11 comments:

t1klish said...

Great rant!:) I will add for me that no one gets access to MY credit card number either. That's something only a joint card holder would have, and I will never again be in the situation where I would have a joint card holder. Thankfully, aside from our naughty/friendly relationship, we're not entangled in each other's lives, and neither of us wants to be. Mine is very simple. His is very complicated, and I want no part of that.

sin said...

I freakin hate those "Better Subs".

I cannot imagine that I would ever give my credit card number to a Dom, but... never say never, right?

And it's not impossible that I would ever change plans to accommodate my Dom. But if it inconvenienced others, it would be a lot less likely to happen, and I hope it would be exceptional (and I believe he would expect me to keep most pre-existing plans).

-sin

Jz said...

t-
I agree, but you jogged loose a secondary thought -- because a joint account implies that people have joined lives -- whether it's through marriage, civil partnership, or a M/s union -- in which case, "the stuff" is already belongs to both, so my rant is made a moot point.
It's when those commitments haven't been made and an outside autonomy is impinged upon that agita sets in here…

s-
You make an excellent point about your Dominant respecting the effect his request might have on your friends. I don't think most of us have the type of Dom who would ask us to disregard significant inconvenience to others -- yet somehow, people are still offering it up anyhow. (Or at least purporting to.)
And I think that's the part that makes me twitchy - because everyone is entitled to respect, not just our dominants.

Anonymous said...

A good person, Dom, or otherwise, would want you to keep your word and be considerate of others. If he doesn't, then he's a jerk, whether he's a "Dom" or otherwise.

Jz said...

t-
well, while I agree with you on that, that's kind of another rant altogether.

In the posts that gathered in my craw to form this one, subs aren't whining about their Dom making them be inconsiderate, they're holding their own questionable behavior up as examples of what good subs they are - and that's the bit I can't agree with.

I get the desire behind why they do it, I just needed to, at least once, break the silence that implies tacit agreement.

nilla said...

nodding.

He wouldn't ask. He just wouldn't. We both understand that we have vanilla lives and so --I dunno. He's just pretty "proper" about that boundary.
He and I haven't had playtime since early September--and that is 100% because of *my* schedule. He told me long ago "your kids and family come first".

Maybe it's an age thing? We get to a certain point in our lives and say "oh hell no!"? I'm not 24/7 and maybe that just sets some boundaries right there.

I think we both pretty much respect that we each have lives totally outside our D/s bubble. He gets to control *me* but not my life. He gets to tell me to not eat chips, but not to go braless to work. (where it would be grossly inappropriate and potentially get me fired). But we don't even talk about those sorts of parameters because that's not the kind of control He wants.

nilla

Southern Sir said...

Boundaries will always have to exist in any relationship. No one not even a Dom can or should expect you to change plans last minute at the drop of a hat.
My girl has children, they come first hands down. If something comes up with them they take precedence over anything.
Regardless of whether one practices the lifestyle only in the bedroom or 24/7 we all still have to live in a vanilla world and that has to be factored in as well.
I would never ask my girl to give me her credit card or bank account numbers. We both make our own money and she has a fantastic sense of budgeting.
If she were to ask me to help her set up a budget I would do that, but I still would not need her account numbers for that.

Anonymous said...

You see, this is why in the About Me section of my blog I say my man wants me to be his sex slave. He has no interest in my credit card number, interfering with activities with family and friends, or telling me what I can and cannot eat. Which is a good thing, because, not happening. He does want me to dote on him and give him massages though. But that's all part of the Master's pleasure stuff.

Jz said...

n-
Age, maybe.
But I agree that not being 24/7 makes a difference to how boundaries sit, as well.
I think "controlling *me* but not my life" says it pretty well.

SS-
Thank you - that's pretty much it in a nutshell.

(welcome, btw!)

T-
I agree - I can't see massages as violating anyone else's boundaries…
;-p

Anonymous said...

Great post Jz. :) A life with no 'rules' would be daft. Same way with relationships. Besides, it's the rules that make things fun, exciting and sometimes 'oh Fucking Wow!'.

At the same time, unless you have a relationship that is all about the Dom telling the sub when to breathe and exhale, there will be times when the Sub comes first. :)

Wolf and I live together 24/7, yet we have a very subtle D/s relationship. Does he go places without me? Yes. Do I do things that don't involve him? Yes. Yet at the same time, we can be in the Most Vanilla Place possible and all it takes is a drop in tone in his voice. Or, I may whisper in his ear how I'd love to crawl under the table and... Yet he would never use his control inappropriately, nor would I. We know our limits, our boundaries. That's how relationships work.

Jz said...

w-
Thank you.
"inappropriate" is a good word for the thing I that irks me so, yes.
:-)

(and welcome)