The wretched weather has us all sequestered inside, so I'm hunkered down with my jigsaw puzzle. I am SUCH a sucker for those!
I like 'em big and challenging, with lots of tiny little pieces to sort out.
No easy ones, n'uh-uh.
I like the ones that make me work for it.
I sift the loose pieces through my fingers, sorting, squinting, examining, poking, turning, testing, until I finally find where one or two belong. I like to see the finished product slowly take shape.
Not because I want to see the assembled picture.
I already know what it looks like.
It's that I like being able to understand the parts, to know each piece.
I want to discover the subtle, minute variations of color and texture in each bit, to understand how they help to create the big picture.
I like learning to recognize what I'm looking at, even out of context.
It's that rush of discovery that keeps pulling me back.
If a puzzle doesn't let you in, won't show you it's secrets, if you never have those small wins, there is no joy in it.
When it does, however, you have something intriguing, compelling...
Something that draws you back, time after time.
(hmmm... We are still talking jigsaw puzzles, right ...?)
10 comments:
Hmmm... wish I could enjoy a puzzle that way. For some reason I can pick up a piece and just know where it fits. Sorta takes the fun out of it, I think... but I still like doing them. I just find other ways to challenge myself.
Maybe that's why I tend to always complicate things... if it's too easy, I need to find the challenge in it. And yes, I'm pretty sure we are talking about puzzles. ;)
*hugs*
turiya
I love puzzles too. I turn to them especially at times when life seems beyond my control. I always see them as a metaphor... the one place where I can literally pick up the pieces and put them back where they belong.
We are still talking jigsaw puzzles, right ...
I wondered that at the second paragraph: "I like 'em big and challenging..."
-H
t-
Oh, I'm pretty sure we can come up with something that's at least a little challenging for you... ;-p
x-
I'm so glad you used the word "metaphor"! I was tempted to but made myself stay away. Now, here it is anyway! :-)
H-
one's friends know... ;-D
I tend to flip flop too much between only seeing the tiny pieces and only seeing the big picture. If only I could learn to see the most helpful view.
gg-
Isn't it maddening that when you have one in mind, you can't incorporate the other? Because that would be the best. More brain conduits, please!!
I picked up a jigsaw puzzle yesterday. Needed the challenge of the literal puzzle. I spent hours doing them as a child. I ended up staying up waaaay to late sorting the pieces :) Love it!
w-
Yeah, they just suck you right in, don't they?
Glad you're having fun with it!
HA, puzzles... I'll scatter the thousand pieces of "Polar Bear in Polar Landscape" over a large round table and let you sort it out.Naked.With your hands tied behind your back. That'll teach you to brag about your boobs even/especially where there is a lot to brag about - and liking puzzles.
SP
If I didn't like puzzles, we would never have stayed friends for this long, so hush up about that!
As to the rest, how about we just do naked - with my hands tied behind my back - on a polar bear rug?
Post a Comment