Sunday, March 8, 2020

Timeless Truths #72

Helpful suggestions are not always aptly named…


7 comments:

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Turning him upside down and seeing if his hair grows?! Cheers Hilary

Mrs Fever said...

The oh-so-helpful, "Have you tried unplugging the unit, then plugging it back in?" makes me murderous.

One of these days I'm going to ask, "Should I lick the prongs first?"

One time I actually *did* say, "Oh! You mean it's supposed to be plugged in?!" And the tech guy on the phone was silent for two whole seconds. I'm not normally a snarky person but it entertains me to say dumb stuff when the people talking to me treat me like I _must_ be an idiot.

Jz said...

H-
I think he'd lose that je ne sais qua if we did, don't you? ;-p

F-
The funny thing is, altho' I did have the general area of tech support in mind, I'm griping from the other side:
The side where people call because they can't fix their problem, but then direct me as to what I should do to fix it. ("Well, did that work for you? No, huh? Humor me then, and let's try this...")

So I can't precisely go along with you on your rant... but if I ever get someone asking if they should lick the prongs first, I'll know it's you and say hi! ;-p

Anonymous said...

I have, on more than one occasion. I have gotten mixed results although I admit my sample may be a bit small.

Jz said...

lm-
Hey, at least you tried, right?
(And didn't simply offer it as a suggestion to others. ;-p)

messymimi said...

Well, i do have this one power cord that works better when i make sure it's bent at a certain angle...

Yes, it is plugged in, yes i tried unplugging it and plugging it back in, please run the test. That's what i want to say to my ISP every time i call, but the machine just doesn't listen.

What i really love is when you call to tell the electric company that the electricity is out, and the machine asks if you checked your breakers. If the generator came on, folks, it's not the breakers.

Jz said...

mm-
yeah, power cords can do that to a person... (and automated assistance.)
;-D