Saturday, August 12, 2017

In Which A Friend Is Named

The plan is to tell you a story about being with my friend, so I’ve been struggling to come up with a nickname for her. (To use here, I mean. She’s already got one in real life. ;-p) 

I suppose it shouldn’t be such a big deal - I mean, the whole point of the nickname is so that a person will be anonymous here, right? Why does it matter what I call them? But names do matter, even the made up ones. Perhaps especially the made up ones… so I always strive to get it right. -- But this one’s tough.

She’s not obviously associated with her profession the way Scholarly Professor (SP) and BookMan are. Unlike Tiny Woman, her physical being fits well within normal parameters, so I can’t call her “BigFoot” or something along those lines. (Which would actually have to be Tiny Woman’s alternate name, anyhow.) 

No, what is most striking about this friend is her personality. It’s HUGE. She’s warm, funny, bossy, acerbic, sharp, open-minded, and a smart aleck - with a laugh like Julia Roberts in Pretty Woman. (And… she gives me crowns.)

How on earth do you find a single nickname to encompass all of that?

After days of mulling this over, I was going to settle for Sassy. It’s pretty close, tho’ there was still a niggle of discontent… but I thought it was about as satisfactory as I was likely to get. 

OK, name found, now I can tell the story…
Except that I went googling for some images and fell down a rabbit hole. I was looking for something about two women taking selfies and came across this:


And I remembered... 
my friend had named herself.

 We had gone to see this movie together when it came out - and on the way home, she’d said, 
“That is US… I’m Thelma and you’re Louise.”
The names fit like a glove 27 years ago and they still fit today.

So now that my friend is named and you’ve all been introduced, I can get down to writing up our adventures…

(But while we're on the subject of names and buddy films, may I just pause to confess that I'm slightly more fond of being Louise to her Thelma than I am of my Lucy & Ethel pairing with another old friend... especially since, in that combination, we take turns being Lucy! All characterizations may apply - but I definitely prefer to think I rock the Louise vibe better.) ;-D

2 comments:

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Jz - I don't think I've ever seen the film ... disgraceful I know - especially as it's a classic. I'd have trouble choosing names - when that times come around ... but two great friends and to use Thelma and Louise makes so much sense ... good luck with that writing now ! Cheers Hilary

Jz said...

H-
I need all the luck I can get in summers, so thank you!
(And while the film is good, just knowing the gist of it is pretty much sufficient, I think.)
;-)