Thursday, November 24, 2016

Dissecting a Turkey

Well, it’s Thanksgiving here in the U.S.A.
       *yum*
Just out of curiosity… am I the only person in the country who will cook a small turkey for themselves if they’re going somewhere else for the big meal?

Maybe I should qualify that…
If I know there will be sufficient turkey enough that I can bring leftovers home, I do not cook my own. But if the table is seating more than 6 people, I refuse to take the chance of being left leftoverless.

I’m not so particular about any of the rest of the meal - if I get sides to take home, that’s great, if I don’t, I can always make a little something. If there’s no extra pie, I might sniffle a little but secretly, my jeans are thankful.

But do not deny me my bird, dammit!

Because that Thanksgiving turkey is not just the main course of a meal, is it? It’s also a warm house, full of tantalizing smells that evoke happy times; tasty sandwiches to reward you for braving the malls and poring over mail order catalogs; a lazy Sunday afternoon spent relaxing while the remaining leftovers simmer down into a tasty soup to put away and enjoy on some blustery January day. There's a lot goin' on in that one bird!

Really, Thanksgiving may seem like nothing more than one big day of gluttony (and let’s be honest, it is that) ... but it’s not just that. 
Thanksgiving is also mindfulness and memories; traditions, family, friends, and love.
And who wants to miss out on any of those?
So, Happy Thanksgiving, if you celebrate it.
And all the blessings of the day to you, even if you don't.

13 comments:

ronnie said...

Hi Jz, If we are away for Christmas, I still buy a turkey to cook. Happy Thanksgiving.

Love,
Ronnie
xx

Bleue D'âme said...

Happy Thanksgiving to you my friend!
Hope you enjoy your holiday!!

an English Rose said...

hi Jz, I always cook Turkey at Christmas but this is the first Christmas we won't be here so who knows...Have fun today
love Jan, xx

Downunder Don said...

Hi Jz, may peace and blessings be upon you and family as well

olivia said...

Happy thanksgiving and many hu --- shoulder bumps, Jz! Enjoy the turkey. 💜🙂

Cat said...

Happy Thanksgiving, Jz. Since it's just me, I wouldn't buy a whole turkey but I do buy a turkey breast or a package of turkey legs sometimes and roast them in the oven. I will also make stuffing to go along with my turkey, baked chicken, roast chicken, fried chicken. I find ways. ;) Life's too short...cook what you want and eat off the good china! :)

Hugs and blessings...Cat

Jz said...

R-
Ha!
Not only not the only person in the country, but not the only person in the world, as well!
Excellent. :-)

B-
Thank you, sunshine.
I did indeed enjoy myself.

J-
I’ll keep my fingers crossed that you get some sort of extra turkey. :-)

DD-
Thank you. :-)

O-
Thanks, cutes.
Hope your day was wonderful, as well.

C-
Yeah, I only did a breast this time myself but still…
I Haz Turkey!!! :-D

Anonymous said...

Ha! You cracked me up talking about the importance of the turkey. lol Lovely sentiments about the holiday, truly a time of thankfulness. :) I hope you had a lovely Thanksgiving!

Jz said...

Lilli-
It was a lovely day, indeed.
With plenty of you-know-what. ;-p
Hope yours was grand, too.

Blondie said...

I always have our own little Thanksgiving feast after eating with the relatives. We love leftovers and the kids like all of my side dishes. Happy Thanksgiving

Jz said...

B-
It's really too good a meal to limit to just one day, when you have four! :-)
Hope your meals were lovely.

His slut said...

I have to admit I'm always a little bummed when I'm not hosting the big day, yes it's a nightmare to clean up but boy are those turkey sandwiches with it!

Hope you had a very happy Thanksgiving with those who matter most.

Jz said...

His-
This is where we start chanting, "TUR-KEY! TUR-KEY!", right?

I did have a nice Thanksgiving - hope you did as well. :-)