Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Sparkles

A friend and I were talking the other day and she commented that she thinks a lot of people never get to experience "those sparkles" in love. She noted she'd never had them with her first husband and was totally surprised when she first experienced them, with her current husband.

I completely agree with her. Sparkles are rare - and I think that rarity makes the lure of sparkles particularly strong. Plus, they're addictive. They're fizzy and whooshy and giddy and make us feel wonderful and when we're feeling that way we want more, More, MORE!!

But there is a dark side to sparkles.
Sparkles are also deceptive.
Sparkles can totally get away from us.
We think of them as being triggered by something external - the right person, circumstance, or activity - but sometimes, sparkles fly for no better reason than our own wishful thinking. Sometimes, we just *want* them into being.

Which would be great ... except ... self-created sparkles are false ones. They appear to have all the zip and zing of the true ones, but they don't have the energy source to be sustained.

Proper sparkles create a self-perpetuating energy loop. (Mine feed off of his, which in turn energizes me, allowing his to feed off mine …)
But false sparkles have nothing reciprocal to feed off of, so they either fizzle out or they turn and begin to consume their creator.

I love sparkles, I really do.
But they're tricky little devils.
Handle With Care.

9 comments:

strivingforpeace said...

yes -- very true Sis -- very true.

greengirl said...

Beautiful, beautiful metaphor. I feel compelled to add - i hope this is a truth and a wisdom you gained long ago and that you are currently not in the grips of false sparkles. i really hope...

Anonymous said...

Omigod, brilliant post! i've been taken in by my own sparkles more than once. Soooo true.

aisha

Storm said...

Sparkles...I wouldn't have thought to use that word, but it's quite perfect.
My favorite kind of post--thought provoking And lovely!

Anonymous said...

I've had sparkles, once and only once. They were not created by me and I am lucky to have enjoyed the self-perpetuating energy loop. I don't expect I'll find that again, and I'm not wishing or hoping.

-H

Jz said...

sfp-
you know and I know... ;-)

gg-
Thank you. (even if they are actually my friend's words.)
And yes, this was a hard-won insight from long ago that I was finally able to frame because of her words.

a-
Thank you. I suspect many of us have fooled ourselves.

l-
I appreciate the kind words, thanks. :-)

H-
Everyone should have sparkles at least once in their lives! ;-D

beau said...

"I love sparkles, I really do.
But they're tricky little devils.
"

Indeed they are. It is lovely while they sparkle - whatever happens as a result.

Missed sadly when they are gone ...

B xx

beau said...

PS Wishing you and all your readers a very sparkly Christmas!

B xx

Jz said...

b-
Sparkly Holidays back at'cha, my friend!