We have a routine at work wherein a bunch of us generally get take-out Chinese food for Friday lunches - meals that naturally include the obligatory fortune cookie. Well, at the last lunch gathering of the year, I received this fortune:
I kind of chuckled when I read it and thought, “Obviously, this was either supposed to say “coming year” or I was meant to get it at the next take out meal”…
…and then, with less than 2 weeks left in the wretched 2017, I heard from BG.
The day after he and I got together to talk and I was left with much thinking to do, I grabbed a hot & sour soup to take home for dinner - and received this:
OK, now I’m curious…
As it happens, I keep all my fortune cookie fortunes in a little stack… basically for no reason other than they amuse me and sometimes make great writing prompts. So I went to that little stack and pulled out all the rest of the fortunes I’d received since Thanksgiving.
![]() |
| Week 1 |
![]() |
| Week 2 |
![]() |
| Week 3 |
![]() |
| Week 4 |
Clearly, the universe had been trying to prepare me for this eventuality for several weeks!
And lest you think I’m nuts for even jokingly seeing the “truth” in these little slips of paper… the day after I pulled these out and laughed, Stuff to Blow Your Mind re-released a podcast they had done on the Forer Effect… and specifically mentioned the lure of fortune cookies!
HA! I may be crazy… but I am not alone!
(This magical thinking moment brought to you courtesy of human nature...)






7 comments:
Hi Jz - that's so funny ... and yes one can read one's life into them or laugh at the unfortunate grammar in the fortune cookie ... enjoy 2018 - whatever it brings ... cheers Hilary
Some people just have a knack for aleuromancy :-P
H-
Yes, there can be some amazing bloopers in the grammar - but as you say, that just adds to the enjoyment. :-)
B-
I hadn't made that connection but it works!
Flour, in whatever form... :-)
Whatever it means, i hope it all turns out for a great 2018.
mm-
Thank you, sunshine! :-)
I'm hearing the "do-do-do-do..." tune from The Outer Limits! Seriously...sending lots of positive energy that everything works in a way that is best for you.
Hugs and blessings...Cat
C-
It does sort of play in the background, doesn't it?
Thank you!
Post a Comment