Monday, January 15, 2018

Requests That Give Me Pause, #14

(email received at work:)
“Jz- The cow in the lab is beeping. Please make it stop.”

(IT - It's not just a job, it's an adventure!)


cow = Cart On Wheels. (s/b COW)
Most often called "the laptop cart"
I was initially every bit confused as you all.

9 comments:

Fondles said...

... say what now? LOL

Jz said...

F-
Whoops!
I'd meant to end the post with a small explanation, but I spaced.
Glad you were there to remind me!

Bleue D'âme said...

LOL!
What does one bring to a cow to stop it beeping? *ponders*

ancilla_ksst said...

Carts are always on wheels, aren't they? If not, it's just a table. I was discussing this with a physical therapist the other day. Puzzled.

Jz said...

B-
I think I'll just let you ponder that one a while...! ;-D

a_k-
You're right... but many of those things that come into usage don't make much sense when looked at too closely. Or get agreed upon. I've also heard it said that COW stands for computers on wheels, which is equally incorrect, just in a different way.
*shrugs*
I don't writes 'em, I jest says 'em...

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Jz - what fun ... I'd have been totally bemused by that request! So interesting how we develop our own language ... whether it'll stick remains to be seen ... fun post though - cheers Hilary

messymimi said...

Bigger Girl used to work with cows, i'll ask her if any of them ever beeped. Heeheehee! Yes, being in IT must be sometimes weird and sometimes frustrating and often funny.

Jz said...

H-
It's funny, because even as a user of the jargon, that's not my default vocabulary. My initial read of anything is in American Standard - and then my brain kicks in with a translation. So, even tho' I should know (and generally do after a couple of minutes) I frequently start off by staring at my screen in baffled bewilderment.

mm-
Weird and frustrating are very good words for it. I (and my boss) am often amazed that I've never been put away for assault!
But I do have a lot of good stories! :-)

Fondles said...

LOL - much clearer now with the explanation. But I agree with a_k - if it weren't on wheels it'd just be a table IMO.

you have an exciting job.