Every year, I stall on raking my leaves…
Not just because I’m congenitally lazy (altho’ truthfully, what sane person ever itches to single-handedly rake up two tree-covered acres’ worth of leaves?) but also, simply from aesthetics.
When those leaves first come down, they are still glorious. They may be on the ground, not the tree, but they retain their warm yellow color — and the grass, rejuvenated by the autumn rains, provides a vibrant, emerald green backdrop for the glowing gold.
For a few days, there is splendor in the grass. ;-D
It can’t last, of course. Eventually, the glowing glory morphs into dull, dried husks and the visual appeal is completely lost. And naturally, by then it's chilly and windy and the leaves have molded and my sinuses are cussing me out for waiting.
So you’d think I would learn, wouldn’t you?
But no.
Just. Too. Pretty.
![]() |
| (wouldn't you agree?) |

12 comments:
Funny, I was looking out at the back yard this morning and thinking how the leaves covering the grass made an awesome picture. Almost as if the colors had arranged themselves in a lovely pattern. Or maybe it was just an excuse to put the raking off for another day.
hugs abby
One of the differences living downunder is that there are very few deciduous trees here. Sometimes I am very envious of your autumn colours but I don't miss the big cleanup afterwards
LOL Jz...I don't rake...just enjoy the leaves while they're pretty and then let them mulch themselves into the yard over the winter. LOL
Hugs and blessings...Cat
but they are soooo pretty now!
Ohhhhh so pretty!!!
a-
I'm going with the "beauty appreciation" school of thought... and how nice to see you in my class! ;-)
DD-
Work is the trade-off, to be sure.
(Altho' the pines can make a lot of mess, too. Just of a different sort.)
C-
Yeah, I tried the "organic mulch" approach one year...
Unhappily, I just ended up with a whole lotta dead spots on my lawn the next spring, so I bagged that idea. Now I sort of split the difference. I don't worry much about the back part of the lot but I do the half that the house is on.
s-
Aren't they, tho'? :-)
B-
And they "shooosh" beautifully when you scuff through them, too!
Autumn is distractingly beautiful. I work in a forest and it's just so beautiful - it puts me in such a good mood to go to work!
L-
Oh my.
That could indeed be distracting.
But lovely! :-)
I love the colour and weather of autumn. (Sorry I can't quite bring myself to call it "fall".)
My mother hates it though. All she sees is leaves falling and littering up her yard, however many times she tries to clear them.
I find a sadness in that...
P xx
P-
I agree with you - it is sad to see someone unable to grab onto the beauty of the moment.
Thinking about it, tho', I do wonder if I'll feel quite the same joy in it when I'm older and everything is just that much harder. I like to think I will but it's not an entirely predictable thing, is it?
(After all, I once didn't see what the big deal was about kissing boys!) ;-D
Why bother? Nature intended them to become part of the soil.
Old Tom
Ol' Tom-
Yes, I'm actually working on my own little Humus Project... but I'm shooting to have it take place in a clearly-defined space of my own choosing. Which means I still have to get the leaves over to Point B.
;-)
Post a Comment