Thursday, July 21, 2011

Screwed Again!

BBC News Headline today:
"Tall People 'more likely to develop cancer'"

Like just trying to buy jeans isn't hard enough, now we find out that being tall increases your risk of getting 10 common cancers.
By 16% for every 4 inches over five feet. 
Until finally, you come to the tallest group - those over 5'9" (*smiles and waves to the crowd*) - who are, in fact, 37% more likely to develop a tumor than people under 5 ft. tall.

This comes from a 5 year study of 1.3 million middle aged women in the UK, undertaken by University of Oxford researchers.

Too much thinking causes mental disorders.
Death by height.
But NEVER any "Pudgy Tall Chicks Best in Bed"

I think I'm just gonna stop reading BBC News...

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

This made me giggle a little bit, and hmm.. that should leave me at an 8% increased risk then. Now I'm gonna have to stop procrastinating,reading blogs and doing all sorts other than the things I should do, my man is just a few hours away from me now :D And I'm not at all excited! ;p

Anonymous said...

Oh you're screwed...tall & brainy. :p

-H

BTW..."37% more likely to develop a tumor than people under 5 ft. tall."

I don't know too many adults under 5 feet but plenty of little kids ...so what exactly is this saying? :-/ Not a heck of a whole lot.

Anonymous said...

Perhaps this study was conducted by a group of bitter SHORT researchers.

And...as we know, correlation does not equal causation.

I have always yearned to be a tall woman. In my head, I'm 5'9", in the mirror, I'm short and round.

Jz said...

Delirious PoPe-
I'm glad it made you giggle, that was the point. But this 8% thing is NOT making me feel sorry for you, I must say!
Hope you're reveling in The Return of The Man...

H-
"tall & brainy."
And don't forget the glasses!
To fully complete the whole Geek Girl picture, you know...

I did wonder about the percentages of women *under* 5 ft. but decided that might just be another of those British eccentricities...

*ducks as trans-atlantic projectiles fly*
;-p

Miz O-
No, they were quite careful to point out it was not causal, it's true. But I try not to let trivial things like facts get in the way of a good story... ;-)

Maybe if we swap mirrors, ya think?