Friday, January 15, 2010

A Life of the Mind

"Detachment is a rare virtue, and very few people find it lovable, either in themselves or in others. If you ever find a person who likes you in spite of it--still more, because of it--that liking has very great value, because it is perfectly sincere, and because, with that person, you will never need to be anything but sincere yourself."  - Dorothy Sayers, Gaudy Night
******************************************

Greengirl and I were discussing the subject of detachment. She had commented in a recent post that she used to be very detached during sex. That her mind would wander, but now "pain keeps me in the moment and in the place."  I'm sure that to many, the concept of experiencing sex in the third person seemed a bit foreign. But I know exactly what she is saying.

I'm not sure that I agree with Ms. Sayers that detachment is a virtue. To me, it's more of a knack, one that tends to become a habit. (It's pleasant up here, floating with unsullied feet above the muddy ground of involvement, after all.) Whatever else tho', it is a fascinating trick of the mind, not just because of what it does but also WHY.

Sometimes, one is detached (;-p) simply because one just isn't bothered. If you can't engage me and bring me in to the now, my mind will stay on that academic plane in which it seems to operate best.

Detachment is also a form of self-defense. If you put some distance between yourself and the situation, you're less likely to get hurt. That distance acts as both shield and obfuscation. It creates a space that protects the Inner Marshmallow.

Often, however, detachment is simply the means to an objective appraisal. You have to be able to step back in order to consider all perspectives. I've been trained in detachment all my life. I'm a tech who troubleshoots for a living, I was educated by Jesuits, and as a little kid, I was always told to, "Stop and THINK about it..." I am indeed a practitioner.

The difficulty with that, however, is the possibility of getting stuck at a distance. It becomes very easy to hide amid the big picture. Detachment lets you surf above your emotions and sometimes you lose your knack of expressing them. SP once suggested that my writing was sometimes "too distant, too academic", and that I ran the risk of my words being nothing but "a sort of philosophical treatise."
His charmingly-worded advice was that I should "Speak straight from the cunt."

A valid point but for those of us who tend toward detachment, it can be tricky. A lot of times, we need help coming back down to solid ground. We are so used to reining ourselves in that we may require assistance letting ourselves go.

That's where, as gg noted, masochism can come into play. Or, more accurately for me, masochism and submission. I'm not sure if pain keeps me in the moment so much as it snaps the cords that keep me aloft and I plummet back down into my body, with all of the attendant sensation and joy. Once back into the here and now, focusing on my submission, attending to his reactions, policing my own, these all occupy my mind sufficiently that I stay in the moment. When I'm kneeling in front of him, I am NEVER thinking about how I should really be mowing the lawn right now...

People make the mistake of viewing detachment as being dispassionate. While I can't speak for every detached person, I don't think that's the case. We may not express our emotions as well but that certainly doesn't mean we don't have them - we just don't reveal them easily. A former beau once noted that, "Unrestrained volatility is not to be confused with passion." Passions are deeply-felt and highly-personal emotions. They are no less strong directed from the head, not the heart. It could even be argued that by evaluating before we commit to unleashing the tiger, we create a focused channel that maximizes the effect of the feelings.

And isn't that the same thing that submission is meant to do?

******************************************
When his lips had reluctantly freed themselves, [Peter] had said:
"I'm sorry. I didn't mean to wake the whole zoo. But I'm glad, my God! to know it's there-and no shabby tigers either." ...
"Nobody else, thought Harriet, had apparently suspected the tiger..."  -Dorothy Sayers, Busman's Honeymoon

10 comments:

greengirl said...

Those black robes did at least one thing for you - you can write. Add in SP's advice - and you write beautifully. (Wonder how the Jesuits would have viewed the particular wording of his advice)

You've taken what I was trying to wrap my head around and put it into words incredibly, and given me a lot more to think about.

child of God said...

Interesting. I'm a detached person. I spend a lot of time alone so I live in my head a lot. I know I also use it as a defense mechanism. It's the reason my last relationship ended.

Jz said...

gg-
Thank you.
Twice, actually, since you gave me the idea. :-)

Of the Men in Black that I knew, I think reactions would have been mixed. Ranging from Truly Appalled to Applauding the Sentiment, If Not the Vocabulary. But it's fun to imagine the faces, it's true...

Welcome, coG
Yeah, detachment can also bite you in the butt. Part of the line we need to learn to tread.

turiya said...

I never thought of it that way, but I do tend to be detached regarding certain things (especially sex) too and pain certainly does keep me in the moment.

I find that I have a tendency to be detached when I shouldn't be, and over emotional when I should be detached. Oh well... makes life interesting I suppose... for other... not for me...

spirited

Jz said...

(nod, nod)
Yeah, I occasionally get the reactions backwards, too.
I think it has something to do with how I learned to handle my temper... The balance is a little better that way. (Which may only make sense to those of us with a bad temper, I'm not sure.)

turiya said...

I don't have a bad temper! *whistles and looks around innocently*

lol

Jz said...

my mistake, then.
*she grins*
;-p

turiya said...

Hehehehe....

M said...

"I'm not sure that I agree with Ms. Sayers that detachment is a virtue."

Neither do I, Jz. From a Dom perspective, a detached sub is insulting. I demand k's undivided attention - and she never disappoints. Nothing else will do.

I certainly understand intellectual detachment - and how that can be used effectively in certain situations, but in a Master/sub situation? I can't see it.

But maybe I'm missing something here.

Jz said...

M-
no, I don't think you are missing anything here. One of the things I like about D/s is that it is sufficiently compelling to override detachment. His dominance pulls me right out of it and creates an attachment, instead.

Clear as mud?