Sunday, May 2, 2021

Things I Have Learned Since We Last Spoke

Well, *that* month sure got away from me! I figured I'd better stick my head in and say, "hi!" ... and maybe let you know what's been going on - which is basically, a lot of challenges and lessons learned. So here you go...


This room re-do project that I’ve landed myself in (and which has taken over my life) has necessitated a lot of googling. Of course, you need to take everything you read with a grain of salt, but I figured I was safe using advice from This Old House guy, right? 

Well, he may be the grand old man of home restoration - and indeed, I have learned many useful things from his website -  but not every recommendation is equally useful. In fact, “…switch to a roller for the rest of the paint job—you’ll still be able to coat the grooves of paneled walls just fine.”, while exciting to read, is a downright fib.  

Yep, Bob Vila lies.


On the subject of instructions, I came across this doozy when I unboxed the new sewing machine I finally broke down and bought:


I’m getting too old for the nonsense of the day.


Because, life… this project has been full of minor catastrophes and set-backs. To wit:


Tiles have been broken.

Sixty-year old adhesive does not inevitably disintegrate with age.


Thriftily, I used clear waterproof caulk left over from the worlds longest bathroom renovation to re-glaze a window I’d stripped down to bare wood. BG took one look at the tube and said, “Umm, you realize that’s not paintable caulk, right?” One trip to the hardware store, two tubes of the correct caulk, 6 small and 2 large window panes later, I was back at the point I had thought already achieved.

Frugality does not always save either time OR money.


Do not hold freshly painted metal objects in one hand over a concrete floor.

I don’t think I’m going to explain that one - I’ll just set it down and walk away…


The delays have caused me to really buckle down on the project, spending a good chunk of time every day stretching and contorting and otherwise giving my not-so-young and very out-of-shape body reasons for protest. It has retaliated with (in chronological order) a severe bout of vertigo, some pretty intense lower back pain, and (most recently) the triumphant return of my undiagnosed “-itis”. (I suspect “burs” rather than “arthr”, but cannot be certain.) I know from experience that the only thing that helps this is rest, but I can’t be stopping for every little ache and pain, so I tape it up and forge ahead.

It is possible to paint without the use of opposable thumbs.

(I will not speak to the quality of the work, however…)


Not all my gains in knowledge have come from the room redo, however.


Work has thrown me a good challenge.

(See my upcoming book, Big Sur, M1 chips, and The Art of Privacy Permissions)


So has my dominant.

Never say you don’t think you can possibly come one more time.

(“Challenge Accepted! ”)


Finally, I’ve been reminded that it’s never a good idea to go longer than 30 hours without a shower - because you never know when you might meet your new (cute, male) neighbor.

*le sigh*


Anyhow, that’s life by me.

How are YOU guys doing??


Oops! I almost forgot Spock & Friends! This one feels appropriate after so long...



8 comments:

Mrs Fever said...

Bob Vila LIES?!?!?

*laugh*

I love watching home reno shows but seriously, sometimes when they are like, "This is a simple technique" or are all "we saved $2,000 by doing this" I'm thinking, "There's a lot more to it than that!" Lol.

I will purchase your book when it is published. ;)

Happy Sunday!

messymimi said...

It’s great to hear from you.

Mr. Vila might not be so much lying as leaving out the details that make it work correctly. It happens. Then again, he could just be lying, who knows.

May the month of May be better to you thank April.

Jz said...

Feve,
Well, maybe he has a ghost writer.
All I know is, that particular statement was disappointingly untrue. :-D
Thank you for your support!

mm-
Great to be heard as well, my friend. :-D
It's true, tho' - I may simply not have the mad skillz of Mr. Bob.

Arti said...

Hey Jz.
Thank you for sharing the lessons you've been learning in April:)
Each one sounds like a book title to me. How about it. eh? Ever thought of writing one?
Wishing you a happy May...May your encounter with your new cute neighbour be your liking next time;)

Jz said...

And a happy May to you, too, friend Arti!

The cute neighbor encounter was nothing but twinging vanity. He is WAY too young for me - doesn't even register on the "Possibility" scale - but a cute guy is still a cute guy. A girl wants to feel she's put her best foot forward with one of those... but sweaty, unwashed, in old clothes and covered in paint doesn't qualify!
:-D

Fondles said...

Hi, what's been happening is that my mother has been in and out of the hospital, she has been confabulating, and will now be a psych-geri patient.

Other than that, it's same ol same ol.

thank you for sticking your head in and letting us know what's up. sorry about the ?-itis. Hopefully you get to pseudo-rest in between "heavy" duty days.

Cute male is cute male. And no matter how unlikely a dalliance would be, I hear you when you say one still wants to looks one's best. Or at least, not like a workshop apprentice. (Still, he could LIKE that sort of thing :))

mouse said...

No words...Just bumps

Been thinking about you.

Jz said...

F-
Life with an aging parent is not for the faint of heart, that's for sure.
(And funnily, yeah... when I first met BG (dating site), I had put up a picture that was workshop apprentice right next to the nicer one. (In the spirit of honesty.) His response was, "I like the earthy sexiness vibes!" -- How I Knew I Appreciated This Man, Lesson #3)
:-)

miz mouse-
Soooo good to see you! Quite seriously - I've been thinking about you, too. :-)
(Hi to O.)