I can’t ever see or hear the word knickknack without thinking of my mother.
I was, as I’m sure no one who’s read here for any length of time will be surprised to hear, a pestilentially curious child.
“What is that?”
“What makes that work like that?”
“What does that word mean?”
Mom bore this with fortitude for several years but somewhere around the time I turned 7, she informed me that I needed to learn to look these things up for myself. Curiosity was good but just asking other people was lazy. Here’s the dictionary and how it works - Have at it, child!
But of course, I was both lazy and a child.
A voracious reader… but lazy - and a child.
~one memorable evening, circa mid-1960's~
“Mom, what’s a… baah… baow… um….b-a-u-b-l-e?”
“Honey, I told you to stop asking me and look things up yourself.”
uh-oh.
busted.
quick! fib!
“I tried but I didn’t understand what it said.”
“Oh, for heaven’s sake!”
Pretty sure she had caught me out, she stepped briskly into the room, fully prepared to score a parental point. She grabbed the 1936 Webster’s International from the shelf, flipped to the “B”s, and found the word.
“Baw-ble: noun…” she declaimed…, then paused ever-so-briefly, a funny look passing over her face, before concluding dramatically… “a knickknack, gewgaw, gimcrack.”
With a definitive snap, she shut the book, looked at me, and said, “I really don’t see how they could have been any clearer than that.”
She made it almost a full two seconds before bursting into a fit of giggles.
(She loved the absurd, did my mom.)
So, to this day, whenever I hear the word “knickknack”, I inevitably mentally append, “gewgaw, gimcrack”… and think of my mom.
And smile.

7 comments:
haha perfect- you probably couldn't have picked a better definition to get you out of trouble! :P
My A to Z:
Kafka
Such a perfectly worded memory of your Mom. Thank you for this. I enjoyed reading it very much:)
K is for Khamir
Made me laugh :D
-----
Eva - Mail Adventures
Jz,
Isn't it interesting how the simplest of things bring back such fond, warm memories. Now, I've never heard the terms bawble or gewgaw, or gimcrack but knickknack I've heard plenty of times over and I have a number of them on display. :)
Thanks for the education and smiles, please join me for today's edition of Art Sketching Through the Alphabet. Happy a2zjing!
LOL Jz...Blikachuka hit the nail on the head...you could not have picked a better definition to keep you out of trouble. :)
Hugs and blessings...Cat
I love this. What a great memory off your mom. Thanks for sharing a bit of her with us.
Nilla
B-
No kidding. I was faking through it but I remember thinking, “ooooh, I’m in trouble now!”
(I’m pretty sure Mom knew but she also knew she didn’t have a leg to stand on, either!)
A-
She was very special, so I’m glad to hear that I seem to be doing her justice.
Thank you for that, Arti.
E-
Now that the danger is passed, I laugh too! ;-D
Cathy-
It really is. I have a kitchen knife I can never get rid of because I remember Mom and my brother improvising a TV commercial for it that had me rolling on the floor with laughter. :-)
C-
I’d take credit for it if I could but I cannot. That was sheer dumb luck.
(The only kind I’m prone to!)
N-
Remind me to tell you the shoe story sometime… ;-p
Post a Comment