Vestal Virgins
Let's talk about another of my pet peeves…
the misspeaking of the term “Vestal Virgin”.
It’s understandable, really. The term comes from the days of Roman religion, which means there haven’t been any Vestal Virgins around since 394 AD. And in the meantime, Christianity has popularized the view of women as vessels. Plus, not a lot of people are good about enunciation.
So I get the confusion. I really do.
But, still…
it’s Vestal, not Vessel.
Please.
Vesta was the Roman goddess of the hearth. She had a temple on the Roman forum which was attended by six priestesses - the Vestal Virgins. (VV’s for short) They fetched sacred water, prepared food, cared for the temple, and officiated at the Vestalia. (Love that name!)
VV’s were chosen sometime between the ages of 6 to 10 and served for 30 years... Thirty years during which they had to remain virgins. If they were caught falling into fornication, it meant their death - by being buried alive, since the blood of a VV could not be shed. (The logic of the ancients sometimes escapes me...)
After their obligations to Vesta were fulfilled, VVs were free to marry, but few did. Although their rules of service seem a bit restrictive to our modern sensibilities, a Vestal Virgin enjoyed a lot of privileges rare for women in those days - emancipation from their fathers’ authority and the right to control their own property being chief among those. So it’s not too surprising that they weren't in any hurry to lose that independence.
So you see, a Vestal Virgin is a very real, distinct (if outmoded) thing. And it’s true that the phrase is so outdated that it really shouldn’t bother me when it’s misused - but it still does.
(Unless, of course, it’s mispronounced by Annie Lennox in a lovely song… then it's ok.
But in my mind, I still insert the "T"...)
But in my mind, I still insert the "T"...)

7 comments:
I've never noticed anyone saying "Vessal Virgin" before. Interesting bit of history--thanks.
@RhondaGilmour from
Late Blooming Rose
I LOVE mythology, and you do such a lovely job explaining things. I particularly appreciate your point about the VV's having freedom in some ways that other women of the time didn't have. The same was true of nuns of course. I think they were the remnants of the days when women ruled and the Goddesses were what mattered...
I never people mixed up Vestal with Vessel. That's really annoying.
Really enjoyed the background information covered in the post.
Thank you for sharing and good luck with the rest of the challenge.
http://blog.elenchera.com
Oooooh! Good V post *nods*.
Only the beauty and majesty of Annie's voice can overcome the annoyance of the mispronunciation. She is my very favorate female vocalist. I think you would have made a smashing Abbess.
At least Procol Harum got it right on the original (https://youtu.be/_BADDeIQWVQ).
Keith Channing A-Zing from http://keithkreates.com
R-
welcome.
Well, it’s true, you rarely hear anyone using the expression anymore anyhow.
(But if you do in the future, listen closely!) :-)
O-
Glad you enjoyed it, sunshine.
And yes, there were certainly pay-offs for the lifestyle.
D-
I’ve both heard it and seen it.
The mis-writing really makes me crazy, but as you see it written even less often than you hear it, I don’t have quite as many blood pressure spikes from it. ;-p
Welcome and hang tight - we’re on the home stretch!
B-
Thank’ee ma’am. *grins*
lm-
So you think I’d excel, not only as a professional virgin, but as one in charge of a bunch of other professional virgins?
I can’t decide if I’m highly flattered or moderately disgruntled… ;-p
(Her voice is amazing, isn’t it?)
K-
You know, I listened to theirs and I still don’t hear it. I know they spelled it right but my ear cannot discern the middle T in there.
However, I am old and potentially deafer than I realize…!
Thanks for stopping by. :-)
Post a Comment