Thursday, April 21, 2016

R is For...

rhythm [ˈriT͟Həm/]
noun
     1:  a strong, regular, repeated pattern of movement or sound
     2:  an ordered recurrent alternation of strong and weak elements in the flow of sound and silence in speech
     3:  the aspect of music comprising all the elements (as accent, meter, and tempo) that relate to forward movement
     4:  a particular type of pattern formed by rhythm
     5:  movement, fluctuation, or variation marked by the regular recurrence or natural flow of related elements
     6:  a regularly recurrent quantitative change in a variable biological process 
     7:  the effect created by the elements in a play, movie, or novel that relate to the temporal development of the action

(If the tap sequence from “An American in Paris” was worked into this mix, my happiness would be complete!)

Rhythm has as many forms as it has definitions - because it’s a funny thing to pin down.
It’s not just a pattern or a beat… it’s a flow, a way of proceeding forward, in both movement and sound. Rhythm can express itself in different forms, as well. Many people have a fairly comprehensive sense of rhythm, finding it in everything around them. Yet I know musicians who never lose a beat, but who cannot dance to save their souls; writers whose words create a gorgeous symphony but who can’t find the beat in a tune, and people whose internal clocks never fail them but who struggle to flnd a flow to anything… 
And then there are those people who can’t find a rhythm At All.

I myself have a pretty decent sense of rhythm. Not flawless, by any means, but pretty deeply ingrained - the result of both genetics and training. (The dance instructor I had as a kid was of the opinion that you start ‘em early, at 3 or 4, and spend those first couple of years teaching, not so much dance techniques, but how to hear the rhythm in the music.) 
So, annoyingly picky as it may sound, rhythm really is something I notice.
I don't require it in others, however. For the most part, if you have it, great; if not, oh well. 
Man does not live by rhythm alone, after all..., right?

Except there's one situation that makes me eat those words... one arena where I do require rhythm... and that would be in touch.
I absolutely cannot get past someone lacking rhythm in their touch.

Touch may seem like an odd place to house that requirement, particularly at such an uncompromising level, but rhythm creates flow… and touch without flow is one of the most unsatisfying things in the world to me. I might date you for a short while if you lack it, but you can be pretty sure you’re off my long-term radar. 
BeachMan once said: 
“If you can’t move well together, you probably won’t do well in bed, either.” 
Well, this is a corollary:
"If you can't make me crave your touch, I won't be craving much else."

Shallow? Yeah, maybe... 
Won't argue it with you one way or the other. 

Won't change my mind, either.  ;-p

Who needs rhythm?
Me.

3 comments:

greengirl said...

So - asking as one with absolutely no inherent sense of rhythm - could you write about what a rhythm of touch is to you. I'm intrigued.....

Bleue D'âme said...

Interesting!
I am routinely mocked by those who love me for having no sense of rhythm, so like gg I would love to hear how it translates to touch for you!

Jz said...

gg and B-
yes, I will - but I think (at this point anyhow) if I hope to do it justice, then there may be a full post's worth of writing in it - so I'm going to conserve energy and write it as one! (Rather than sneaking it in as a comment response.)
But I'm going to hold off and do it after this A-Z thing is over - this thing kicks authorial butt!