Wednesday, April 13, 2016

K is for...

Kashmir

There’s something about music and the teenager, isn’t there?
Some magical symbiosis between hormones and sound waves... The song amplifies the intensity of emotion, the emotion intensifies the song, until the overpowering rightness of it all seems to carve into our very being. For the rest of our lives, certain songs will always feel like wisdom from the cosmos… (even if we never really did quite understand the lyrics!)

Generally (for me at least,) once a song has achieved that status as personal classic, I want it left alone. “Don’t mess with my tunes, that song is perfect as it is!”

Except, however, that sometimes, what the “messer” achieves is an entirely new piece of magic. Especially if that person happens to be Ofra Haza.

Kashmir, as I first came to love it…

and as a singer I love made it her own…


(I know it's a long song - skip the Zeppelin version if you need to but please, listen to Ofra!)

5 comments:

Tamar said...

Oshigosh, my favorite Led Zep song, and one of my favorite singers??? I had no idea this even existed, thank you for sharing this!!! <3

Downunder Don said...

Hi Jz, I don't know if you have come across this version of Stairway to Heaven....it is pure magic
http://theshrug.com/tb-nancy-wilson-stairway-to-heaven/
There is the story to get through on the page but it makes for some good information, so please give it a go

Jz said...

T-
Well, we're going to have a good playlist when we do our architecture road trip, aren't we?!? ;-p

D-
Oh my goodness! I'm late to work but glued to my seat for that one!
No, I had not seen it -- thank you so much for rectifying that oversight for me.
This is terrific!

martine said...

Strangely I know what you mean, I love American Pie and you would think that the original is untouchable, but I also manage to love the Madonna version, so you never know
thanks for sharing
martine @ silencing the bell

Jz said...

m-
welcome.
it is funny how "sacrosanct" doesn't always stick, isn't it?
Thanks for stopping by!