Jewelry
Given that I am so disinclined to fripperies, you might be surprised to learn that I have a bit of a jewelry habit. (You’ll probably be less surprised to hear that I’m pretty picky about what I wear, however. *ahem*)
It’s funny how personal tastes can be formed. My mother was a great wearer of clip-on earrings and matching pins - and that’s it. The only rings she owned were the wedding/engagement combo that she never took off, and I only ever found one necklace in all her cache of jewelry boxes. The rest of the multitude were filled with clip-ons for every mood - sparkling, serious, classic, whimsical. I never knew that plastic beads could be grouped to convey such a range of emotion…
I, on the other hand, like necklaces and bracelets. I do wear earrings (in fact, the one piece of jewelry I almost never take off is the hoop that occupies the third hole in my ears) and I have quite a collection of rings, but it’s hit or miss whether you’ll see any of those on me. I just kind of forget about them half the time.
Bracelets and necklaces, however, are my weaknesses. I have a keen ear for their siren call… and never fail to follow it. Not so much in stores, tho' - I tend to buy my jewelry at crafts fairs. I like pieces that are unique - things you won’t find on every third person on the street. I did not inherit my mothers love of beads, so even at crafts fairs, I’m able to walk past a lot of the stalls. But show me something made of recycled materials and I may very well leave the contents of my wallet with that vendor! I have steampunk necklaces made from bottlecaps and old greeting cards, several of hand-made tiles… there are bracelets of wire and glass, old typewriter keys,and old chewing gum wrappers. (Those are, for the record, three different bracelets…!)
Like Mom’s earrings, each piece suits a different mood (and as a Moonchild, I have more of those than you can shake a stick at!) so my collection grows, just as my mom’s did.
Unlike mom, however, I have no one to cherish my collection when I’m gone…
I’d better wear the hell out of this stuff while I can!! :-)

4 comments:
Hmmm...the steampunk inspired glitz, yes I do find that surprising! But so cool!
B-
The style actually suits my tastes to a T.
The problem is I have to walk a fine line in order to wear stuff like that that I like and still keep myself age-appropriate. It's certainly do-able, but you have to keep an eye on yourself! ;-)
I'm the one who inherited the big old-fashioned jewelry box that was my mother's and her mother's before that. I have other smaller jewelry boxes too. Earrings are my weakness, both making and wearing. I love steampunk bling. Happy A to Z!
l-
Welcome! Thanks for checking out my A to Z. :-)
I'm a little bit jealous of an heirloom jewelry box, I must say. How wonderful for you to have something so special. (Especially if you're filling it with handmade steampunk bling!)
Post a Comment