It's time for the April A-Z Challenge again!
As before, I've chosen to eschew a theme. This sucker is hard enough without trying to impose some sort of unifying structure over the top of it.
So hang on, we're off...!
adventure [ad-ven-cher]
noun
1. an exciting or very unusual experience.
2. participation in exciting undertakings or enterprises:
the spirit of adventure.
3. a bold, usually risky undertaking; hazardous action of uncertain outcome.
It’s an exciting word, isn’t it?
It conjures up such visions of BIG, exotic, immersive happenings…
What do you dream of when you first see the word?
Rafting down lush jungle rivers? Trekking across the barren steppes?
Travel in far-flung lands? Boldly going where no man has gone before?
Heady stuff.
I can’t think of a single soul who doesn’t thrill to the thought of a great adventure, yet very few of us can afford to dislodge ourselves from our everyday life long enough to actually experience one. If the problem isn’t money, it’s time. (More often, it’s both.)
And speaking for myself, I have the additional issue of being not only monetarily challenged but a home-body by nature, as well. So I sit in my armchair and dream the grand adventure - and then decide I don’t want to deal with the hassle after all, I’ll just go weed my garden, thank you very much.
No wonder a lot of us end up feeling like there is no adventure in our lives.
I think we all yearn for it, but it often feels impossible to achieve.
The thing about adventures, however, is that they don’t really have to be BIG - they just have to provide you with the opportunity to experience something outside your norm, something that pushes your envelope a little, lets you see life from a different vantage point, lets you rediscover wonder.
And that’s not something that necessarily has to happen in a big way.
Ever been down a familiar road going in the opposite direction than you usually take? Or tried to write with your non-dominant hand?
Sometimes the smallest shift in perception can make for an entirely new experience.
Maybe that’s how we should approach adding adventure to our lives - start by simply scaling our expectations down. Make the “unusual experience” something smaller and more manageable and see what it reveals to us?
It might not have the same magic as riding a camel past the Pyramids, but I think it’s worth a shot!
(And, seriously? I really would love to know what each of you dreams of for a BIG adventure… please?)

5 comments:
i could say that my whole life has been a big adventure, but that seems kind of cheesy. i have had a lot of adventures though - or maybe they're just life events that are framed as adventure?
If i could pick my next adventure, i would like to win the lottery and start a philanthropic foundation. Hey, don't laugh, you didn't say it had to be realistic! i love to plan what i'd do. For example, i would fly you in to Where-i-Live to consult on the aspects of it that would involve books, literature, and grammar. Or the kink-aware aspects of some project. Or something. And pay you for your expertise!! Anyhow, that's mine. Never let it be said that i think small.
You are so right about that whole expectations thing.
Oh, many adventures come to mind.
But I think it would be a spectacular adventure to meet all of my bloggie friends, in one trip!
This year we're going on two big adventures: our first big SCA event, with combat, archery, feasting, etc. and we're super psyched about going as a family; and- my first kinky convention. We're really really excited about that one. Both sound like grand adventures to me, indulging different interests and sides of me and my life. We're also hoping to plan our first trip out of the country soon, so that'll be quite the adventure as well. It's funny, I realized my life has been a bit of an adventure since getting divorced and having Q move in. I've done so many things I thought I'd be too scared to do, and they've mostly turned out great. So I guess it's not on par with exploring an uncharted jungle or anything, but I'm pretty happy with my own possibilities for adventure.
When my boys were young, I used to take them on 'adventures'. We'd get in the car with a cooler of snacks and drinks then drive with no destination. I have absolutely no sense of direction so if I hadn't found a place to stop for our snacks after a bit, one of the boys would say "Mom, is it time to stop and ask for directions?" We found lots of different and unique places on our adventures. Thanks for bringing back sweet memories for me. ;)
Hugs and blessings...Cat
o-
Well, I think that with the right mental approach, our lives are one big adventure… but we do tend to make distinctions, don’t we?
I like the idea of your next adventure! And how lovely that you’re kind enough to include me among the deserving! Thank you… I’ll take you up on it when it happens! ;-p
B-
It’s really just an extension of “Stop and smell the roses” but it holds water, doesn’t it?
That’s an excellent adventure idea, as well!
Would you travel about from place to place, or would we all meet up in a common spot, do you think?
T-
Being happy with smaller adventures makes a big difference to the quality of life, I think. (Which is not to say we shouldn’t work a few big ones in, too!)
I’ve been reading about your new SCA adventures - I’m not sure that’s something I’d do on my own but it sounds like a fantastic thing for a couple to share. Have fun with that and keep us posted!
The kinky convention intrigues me, as well. BG would never go for it, so I can safely say it’s not likely to happen based on that alone… but I will whisper in your ear that I’m not sure that Weenie Girl would get herself through the door anyhow. Social situations with strangers are not my forte.
So I’ll live vicariously through you there, as well!
(You didn’t know there was going to be all this pressure, did you?)
C-
Oh, that sounds lovely! My folks didn’t do that much, but it’s the kind of mindset they had, so I can really imagine how much fun it was.
Is the tradition being carried on?
Post a Comment