Saturday, April 15, 2017

M is for Meniscus


A meniscus (plural: menisci, from the Greek for "crescent") is the curve in the upper surface of a liquid close to the surface of the container or another object, caused by surface tension.

They can be convex or concave, depending on the liquid and the surfaces. So, when I go to read my oil tank gauge, I’m looking to see where the bottom of the concave curve sits. A concave meniscus is easy to deal with, not risky at all.

A convex meniscus, however…, one that bulges up at the top? 
       That one allows me to play with danger on a regular basis.

Because that burgeoning surface tension is the crapshoot I throw every morning as I overfill my coffee cup. (A trait that drove my Dad to distraction, as well as fascinating him.) It's not really that I have consciously chosen to make it my life’s goal to push the envelope of physics and see just how high I can get the coffee to bulge before it spills... Yet it’s an easy enough thing to avoid… and I never bother to do so.

Instead, I’ve spent years perfecting the skills of the proficient meniscus-manipulator. I know juuuust when to stop pouring the milk before disaster strikes; I’ve learned the precise angle and distance for slurping that enables me to siphon the surplus up and away without creating overflow or getting it all over my shirt. (I have not yet taught myself how to stir the sugar in first, however. That’s the Advanced Class.)

Menisci.
Providing family fun for over 40 years...

10 comments:

Arti said...

My.My.My.
Flipping Marvellous!
Almost half way through the post, my brain started badgering me to think of clever ways to say how much I was enjoying reading this. I told him to shut up. And carried on.
LOVE it. And learnt a new word today, so cheers:)
M is for Maid of Honour

Mail Adventures said...

And Internet fun, from now on.
-----
Eva - Mail Adventures

ancilla_ksst said...

That is really amusing! :)

messymimi said...

Heeheehee! There have been a couple of times where i've allowed my cup to almost overflow that way. It is rather fun to play with this aspect of liquids.

Cat said...

Hahaha...thanks for the entertainment, Jz. :)

Hugs and blessings...Cat

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Jz - I'm about to go and pour myself another cup of coffee - do I do a Meniscus or do I leave the work surface clean? I suspect I know - I'll take the easy way: the clean one! Fun post - clever ... well done and have a Happy Easter ... cheers Hilary

http://positiveletters.blogspot.co.uk/2017/04/m-is-for-melton-mowbray-market-national.html

Jz said...

A-
I think maybe your brain bears more than a passing similarity to mine. :-)
Glad you enjoyed it, thank you.

E-
Thankee, ma’am! :-)

a_k-
Always glad to amuse. ;-D

mm-
Kind of an addictive game, isn’t it? ;-)

C-
You are quite welcome, my friend. :-)

H-
Sure you don’t want to live on the edge, Hilary?
Well, maybe not on Easter, when everything should look nice but… maybe tomorrow? ;-p
Hope your Easter is lovely, as well. Thanks.

nilla said...

Before kids I would do this all the time. Now, not so much. But thanks for reminding me of an amusing and challenging pasttime. No wonder we're friends *laughs* - we both adore Spock, and we play/played with our tea/coffee levels. Can we...will we...one more drop of creamer...

oh noooooo.....

*laughs again*

nilla

Anonymous said...

Before kids I would do this all the time. Now, not so much. But thanks for reminding me of an amusing and challenging pasttime. No wonder we're friends *laughs* - we both adore Spock, and we play/played with our tea/coffee levels. Can we...will we...one more drop of creamer...

oh noooooo.....

*laughs again*

nilla

Jz said...

n-
Yeah, this is not a trick one wants ones children picking up! ;-D