(And How I Must Now Abjure Them)
No, not that kind!
C’mon, you guys know I’m on the relationship wagon…
That form of date-abjuring is old news.
That form of date-abjuring is old news.
No, this time, I’m talking about those dark, yummy, sticky pieces of finger-licking goodness that, unlike the other kind, actually do grow on trees! ;-p
I love dates. (You-all may have picked up on this from the number of date-containing cookie recipes that I’ve exchanged.) They have enough sugar to satisfy a sweet tooth, and enough fiber to be filling. Perfect little satiety pills in natural form, these things.
So reasonably enough, when I was still peckish after dinner the other night - and had enough calories left in my budget to warrant a little treat, my mind turned to thoughts of dates.
Dates with peanut butter, in fact.
So I carefully measured out my spoonful of peanut butter and grabbed a few dates. Several bites later, there was still peanut butter left, so I chomped it down with a couple more dates … and THEN thought to look up how many calories there are in dates.
Holy Mother of God Stabbed With A Knife!
66 calories a PIECE!
And I’d had 7!
I almost had to go lie down in a darkened room…
Dates as Diet-Busters.
Who Knew?


9 comments:
I love dates, so much! I figure that at least the calories in dates are natural and therefor easy to digest etc :)
In fact, I eat dates almost every day and still lose weight :)
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)
(¸.•´ (¸.•` ¤ Good luck on the rest of your A to Z challenge
Sylvia @ The Creative Life
66 A Piece! :O
I like dates, but in other things not individually... Because I am lazy to pick up fruits and eat them. Ironically, I am not so lazy when it comes to other food items (and my mind considers dates in fruits, I don't know technically it is a fruit so or not...)
Informative Post, thanks for sharing!
Best Wishes!
I love dates
I love dates syrup
I love dates milkshake
I loved this write up
Dates are delish!! Heidi visiting from the A to Z Challenge at, Decibel Memos (Perspectives absent of sound)
I used to suffer from chronic endometriosis, and was told dates were a natural way to ease the pain.
They just gave me diarrhoea.
Goody gravy, Jz...peanut butter and dates? Seriously? Are you pregnant? LOL Never realized one lousy date had that many calories. Do you like figs? They're about 22 calories each.
Hugs and blessings...Cat
S-
Aren’t they terrific?
Yes, I know they can be fit into any eating plan - but it works better when you know what you’re getting into ahead of time! ;-)
Thanks for stopping by!
K-
Yes, generally, I’m more of a “dates in things” girl… but sometimes plain is good.
Thank you for coming by. :-)
DD-
I haven’t had date syrup but I’ve had date shakes - and now you’ve made me hungry! ;-)
Thank you. :-)
S (H)-
I agree. *nod, nod*
Thank you for visiting! :-)
W-
The holistic version of overdose? ;-p
I’d never heard of dates as painkillers… altho’ from what you say, perhaps there’s a reason for that…
C-
Not pregnant, just peckish!
What’s the matter, woman, you’ve never had dates stuffed with peanut butter?
A 1950’s classic, that is. (You know, like me!)
I do like figs, I just didn’t have any in the house that night.
I may have to go shopping…
Wow that's a lot of calories! I always figured they're fruit so must be ok. I guess I was more than a little bit wrong!
Debbie
RM-
Shocked the heck out of me, I can tell ya! ;-)
Post a Comment