Tuesday, June 24, 2014

Deconstructionism -- Embellished

Due to circumstances I'd rather not discuss (but which can be found in the encyclopedia under "Emotional Eating; side effects of") I had to go shopping for a pair of jean capris -- in size "i need to slit my wrists now."  (Next life? I'm coming back as one of those people who waste away from distress, if it kills me!)

Now, any woman can tell you, this is NOT the sort of shopping you approach with diligence. Rather, this type of purchase falls into the "Short-term Emergency -- If You Can Zip It, Buy It" category and as such, warrants only a passing nod to fashion and quality.

So, I trotted off to the local version of an Odd Lots store. (You know, the kind of place where you can find good name brands, but in truly questionable designs.) And indeed, they had an acceptable pair -- good fabric, good fit -- but with pocket styling that not even a stoned tweenie would consider attractive. (Think reversed fabric highlights, inch-wide strips of intentional tatter, and shiny things of multiple sizes and faceting scattered hither and yon.)

Completely vile on the most nubile of derrieres.
On mine? ... Unthinkable.
Just... No.

Yet, for ten bucks, nothing a good sharp pair of scissors couldn't handle! :-D

So I plunked down my money and hied my purchase home, where, armed only with scissors, a straight razor, and the smallest of wood chisels, I hacked, snipped, and pried those eyesores into a much more restrained, modestly-funky pair of capris that even women of a certain age need not be embarrassed to wear.

(Does this make me a deconstructionista?)

5 comments:

Sue said...

Deconstructionista, indeed. Bravo!

rose said...

I had a similar experience recently with a 'wrap' dress - I lost a fair bit of weight, so what used to wrap just wasn't wrapping any more, it was a 'hanging limply' dress... I took to it with scissors and then just tied it back together with knots. I fully expected to ruin it but found the whole process oddly therapeutic.

Ironically, every time I wear it now people ask me where I got it. Maybe we should just remodel cheap clothes all the time.

-r.

sofia said...

That's brilliant! When i try to do things like that i end up destroying the purchase so i envy your skills. Also though, i have to admit, i like shiny things on my clothes. Seriously. I can't help it. :-)

Anonymous said...

Bravo!!! Deconstruction Diva.

Jz said...

S-
Thank you, she curtsies.
(and welcome!)

r-
ooooh, I hate when clothing evolves past it's descriptors!
But good for you for not only salvaging but improving the goods!

("Antipodal Clothing and Cookies"?) ;-p

s-
It wasn't the shiny things per se… they're fine in appropriate spots.
The acreage that is my rump does NOT need to be attracting the eye, however…

Yy

(rose! ...jeans with muumuu skirting over the butt??)

lm-
ooo! I like that!
Thankee, ma'am!