Sunday, February 19, 2012

The H-Word

"There was a great deal of promiscuous kissing in the vestry" -Dorothy L. Sayers, "Busman's Honeymoon"

I am from New England -- NOT The Land of Casual Touch.
Around here, touching only takes place in a sort of once-removed fashion. We'll do hip chucks, elbow nudges, and shoulder bumps, but getting the hands involved?  Nooo, no, no! WAY too intrusive, that.
Pressing torsos? Excuse me?!?!??

So you can imagine that I find myself feeling a bit like Alice in Wonderland as I wend my way through BlogLand...
     "Hugs"
     "(((H)))"
     "hug"
     "{h}"
     "HUG!"
Goodness me! I hesitate to align myself with such a disagreeable character as the Duchess of Denver, but really, there is a great deal of promiscuous hugging here in BlogLand!

Now, I'm only teasing about this. I am honestly neither bothered nor offended by being offered hugs and I genuinely appreciate the sentiment, so please don't think I'm asking anyone to stop using the h-word. Just, also please, don't feel hurt if I fail to respond in kind.
It's not comfortable, it's not second nature, it's just ... not me.

(If I'm born in different part of the country in my next life, I'll look you up and hug you twice then, how's that?)


Meanwhile, shoulder bumps to you all!  ;-)

16 comments:

Tom Allen said...

I know exactly what you mean. There is some evidence that colder climates are associated with more "reserved" cultures, and warmer climates for more passionate ones.

That's why I never mind about your lack of hugginess. I just envision you as a viking goddess, and figure it's just part of your nature.

strivingforpeace said...

what does a shoulder bump look like?

7F ?

oh!

YY

there we go!

sfp

Storm said...

lmao. "Promiscuous hugging", that's awesome.

greengirl said...

My midwest is more middle of the road - go figure. But i am deep in the land of teenagerhood - so am constrained to only surreptitious affection. So - i completely understand. [small, almost imperceptible, pat on the shoulder and hair ruffle] from me to you.

aisha said...

Laughing out loud... terrific post.

First of all - I LOVE Dorothy Sayers, and dreamed of meeting Lord Peter, who is clearly a Dom in the most understated but delightful way possible. However... i digress.

A male friend of mine shoulder-punched me lightly the other day, and when i raised my eyebrows in question on it, he shrugged and said, "well, it's better than a side hug." i think he's right. So i'll take your shoulder bump or elbow nudge with great pleasure as long as we don't resort to side hugs.

no-hug,

aisha {giggling..}

mouse said...

Well, mouse is really only a cyber hugger. Real life hugs are very rare.

Then again mouse isn't one to high five or shoulder bump...

Maybe just a knowing smile?!

anyhoo likes ya much...

mouse

Now if you'll excuse mouse, she must don her readers and prove she's not a bot for the next 12 times...

You just know that mouse won't do this for just anyone. ;-)

Alice said...

On this very cold little island we've always been very uneasy with all that indiscriminate kissing that goes on across the Channel, so it's a relief to come across those who respect the importance of personal space.

Promiscuity however - that's a different matter. Alice x

Jz said...

T-
Well, of course, my real name is Freyja...
*Ooops!*
*claps hand over mouth*

I agree about the reserve of the cooler climes but I'm not sure that makes us passionless. Just less demonstrative about it, perhaps. As a former beau once said, "Unrestrained volatility is NOT the same thing as passion!"

sfp-
Dang! You got it woman!

YY

l-
It *is* a good phrase, isn't it? ;-)

gg-
Ha!, I still felt that!
Thank you, chica.
(And yes, you made me laugh out loud again.)

a-
Thanks. Yes, Lord Peter rules.
(He must, I keep featuring him in posts!)

And yeah, avoid the side hugs at all cost.
(What is up with those, anyhow??)

miz mouse-
No, no! Don't stop.
Hugs are your signature. I need to know it's really you!

I love that you don your readers and type these new and annoying captcha's for me. Thank you.
I likes you much, too. :-)

A-
Oh, very big on personal space around here, we are!
I looked it up - American space needs range from 4 to 12 feet.
I'm thinking we're on the upper end of the spectrum around here.
Prolly why we like your cold little island so much!

Tom Allen said...

Yeah, I had a girlfriend who claimed to be "passionate", but really, she was just a neurotic, flighty, manic-depressive. Not quite the same thing from where I was sitting.

Anonymous said...

I'll take a should bump but since you are wonderfully tall and I'm not, your shoulder is likely to land on the side of my head! :D

Hugs,
H

P.S. I am the touchy-feely type and very expressive with my hands when i talk.

aisha said...

@Hedone,

O, gosh, same here! i hadn't even thought of that!

aisha

Jz said...

T-
I hear ya. I had a Greek boyfriend who thought that temper and arm-waving demonstrated his passion.
I, too, was sitting in a different place...

H & a-
Oh, c'mon guys!
I know how to account for these things.
Gimme a little credit here...!
;-p

greengirl said...

so - me too - not too tall - with a full frontal hug - where would my face end up exactly - oh yea! hmmm....

Jz said...

see?
another excellent reason not to go around with all this promiscuous hugging!

Tom Allen said...

Jz, y'all got a lot of short friends. Me, I wouldn't mind where my face ended up in a hug.

Wait, did that come out wrong?

Jz said...

Actually, Tom, I think it came out *exactly* the way you intended! ;-p